Shrimp in Cream Sauce over Pasta
1 lb / 500g Raw shrimp, head-on
3 cloves Garlic, minced
1 tbsp Butter
1 cup / 250ml Dry white wine
1 cup /250ml Water
1/3 cup / 75ml Heavy cream
1 tbsp Cognac
salt to taste
pinch of cayenne - to taste
pinch of saffron
ca. 1 tsp Corn starch dissolved in a small amount of water
1-2 tbsp Parsley, coarsely chopped
salmon roe as garnish (optional)
1. Peel and de-vein shrimp. Keep heads and shells.
2. Melt butter in a heavy pot over medium heat. Add shrimp heads and shells. Cook for a few minutes until fragrant, adjust heat so things don't burn. Add garlic, cook for 2-3 minutes.
3. Add dry white wine and water and bring to a simmer. Simmer gently for about 15 minutes. Slowly stir in heavy cream, simmer for another 10 minutes.
4. Strain through a fine sieve, press down on shrimp heads to extract as much of liquid and flavor as possible. Discard heads.
5. Bring the liquid to a simmer again, add saffron, and cayenne cook gently for another 2-3 minutes. Adjust seasoning with salt.
6. Remove from heat, slowly stir in cornstarch slurry, heat up again until the sauce thickens.
7. Place shrimp in sauce, heat up for a few minutes until fully cooked.
8. Serve over pasta, garnish with parsley and salmon roe (optional).