Chocolate Kissed Red Wine Donuts
Who doesn't donuts? Epsecially ones made with chocolate and red wine! Perfect to serve at breakfast, tea time and dessert!
1/4 cup Oat flour (millet, brown rice or sorghum could be subbed)
1/4 cup Buckwheat flour (millet, brown rice, or sorghum could be subbed)
1/4 cup Flax meal
1 tbsp Coconut flour (or could use 2 more Tbsp of oat or buckwheat flour)
3-4 tbsp Cacao or cocoa powder
2 tsp Baking powder
1/4 tsp Salt
1/3 cup Coconut palm sugar or sucanat
1/4 cup Earth balance, or refined coconut oil (no coconut taste), melted (room temp)
1 1/2 tsp Pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup Red wine
1/4 cup Non-dairy milk (room temperature)
*For chocolate glaze*
1/2 cup Dairy-free dark chocolate bar, chopped or chocolate chips (I used Endangered Species 72% bar)
2 tsp Refined coconut oil (no taste) or all-vegetable shortening
chocolate shavings or cacao nibs
2 tbsp Fruit-sweetened strawberry or raspberry preserves (mixed with 1/2 Tbsp powdered sucanat and slightly thinned with 1 tsp of red wine, only add this prior to serving)
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Grease donut pan and set aside.
2. Add all dry ingredients (flours through sugar) into a medium mixing and stir to combine. Add wet ingredients (earth balance/oil through wine) bowl and stir together gently.
3. Spoon batter into prepared donut pan and smooth with spatula or press down gently. Bake donuts at 350 F for about 15-16 minutes (should be moist but also cooked through).
4. Let cool in pan for at least 5 minutes before gently removing.
5. To prepare glaze, add chocolate and oil/shortening in a double broiler, stir often until chocolate is melted. Carefully dip tops of donuts into the melted chocolate, sprinkle/drizzle with other toppings if desired and enjoy!
Makes 6 donuts